Pages

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Kauai Part III

This far into the trip Kauai was still it's beautiful magical island. Yes I worked ALOT, and yes we were motion sick ALOT, but the trip still had potential. Then Tyler sprained his ankle. Poor guy, it seems on every vacation he hurts his feet. This is especially sad because the highlight and purpose of his trips is skimboarding. So the rest of the trip he was limping and I, his pregnant wife was his crutch.

So there was one more day of partial work and the rest of the trip was ours. We started off with kayaking up the Hule'ia River. I was really excited for this. It was probably the most physical labor I had in the past few months and I did great! We were the best kayakers...and yes it was because of me.



Up the stream we passed the Menehune Fishpond which is a legend of itself.



We stopped the kayaks and hiked up to a pretty waterfall on Queen Victoria's private land. We had permission, no worries.



There are chickens everywhere! So funny. Apparently the hurricane spread them all around the island so they are 'wild' now.



Sunday we decided to go to the north side of the island near Princeville. We stopped off for breakfast at the Tip Top Restaurant...referred by my friend Ashley for their amazing Macadamia Nut & Banana Pancakes, which were great by the way. Also it was great to find a reasonably priced restaurant!



Tyler enjoyed a Loco Moco which is a traditional island favorite. It looked pretty gross to me.



By the way, Tyler tried to pass this off as my Mother's Day breakfast...funny since we needed to eat anyway.



The drive to Princeville ended in us turning around due to blocked roads because of flash floods. Yes, the weather in Kauai turned around from sunny the first few days (while I was working of course) to very very very rainy. One of the days they received 10-14 inches! So we came back to the south side of the island (normally it's a little drier) and visited Sprouting Horn. It's created by lava tubes that release plumes of ocean spray when a wave comes up.





Again more cute chicks! I wanted to pack them away and bring them home.



After driving around and not doing much because of the pouring rain, we decided to come back and enjoy a little bit of the complementary spa! There wasn't much to do there without paying for treatments, but the hot tubs were nice. I couldn't go all the way in, so I sat with my legs in and a towel over my head to protect me from the rain. It was still a nice relaxing time.





Well the next few days consisted of slow rainy days, shopping, and a little beach activity when the rain stopped for small amounts of time.

This place could have been my sole purpose for going to Kauai. I was so excited to return. It's my favorite store ever!



We remembered this small mexican place we ate at during our previous stay and were luckily able to find it. Lunch for cheap in Kauai is something to treasure, even if they have lovely signs like this...



Tyler attempted to skimboard again on his last day. His poor ankle was feeling a little better, but the weather was messing with the tide quite a bit. I at least got to lay on Brennecke's Beach this once for a few hours. It was very nice. If you haven't read my memorable beach story, click here and read under 'Movements'. We also rented some scuba gear and tried it out on Lawai Beach. It was ALOT of work with my compressed breathing system. Still fun to see the fishies though, and you don't feel the rain when your in the water as much.



Of course we also had to revisit the Savage Shrimp truck (used to be called Shrimp Shack I believe). Yummy.







On our way to the airport, we followed suit from our honeymoon and had our last dinner on the island at the Japanese Restaurant Kiibo. Good as always.



Of course on the way to the airport, we started wondering where Tyler's wedding ring was. Luckily we searched for it after going through the agriculture screening and found it. Whew! Even though it was beautiful Kauai, I have to say I was excited to go home. We'll try again for a better baby moon. Hopefully no motion sickness, sprained ankles, or rainy weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: