Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Babymoon Attempt-Part 1

So maybe it wasn't really a baby-moon...however I had to go to Kauai last month for work and of course I can't go to Hawaii without Tyler insisting on coming. He LOVES Hawaii. So since he was coming, we tried to make a baby-moon out of it. One last trip before our little boy makes his much anticipated appearance.

We were really excited to go back to Kauai. We visited on our honeymoon in 2006, so we saw it very fitting to go back for our baby-moon. I was in my second trimester, minimum morning sickness (not that you need to know, but I only threw up once!), most of it paid for since it was a work trip, we used our Delta Skymiles for Tyler's flight, & minimum work on the agenda. Perfect-right??

We arrived late to our beautiful Hotel-The Grand Hyatt in Poipu. Tyler was still able to go straight to the beach and get a little bit of skimboarding in. Our hotel was right on Shipwreck Beach. I of course grabbed some Pringles to tie me over and was able to relax on the sand.



The next morning, I went right to work (pretty much a 5 hour meeting-yuck!). Tyler however took in as much sun as possible and did as much skimboarding as possible. That afternoon we were heading out on a sunset cruise along the Na Pali Coast. This coast is along the west shore of Maui. The only way to see it is either from a boat...or helicopter. You can hike a little ways from the north, but the majority of the cost is beautiful cliffs with no roads along them. I was so excited for this!



Tyler and I were pretty sure we conquered our sea-sickness. We took Dramamine before boarding and followed other rules. As you can see the cruise started out great!



About an hour into this 5 hour cruise...I started feeling sick. The Dramamine stopped helping, and I'm sure the pregnancy wasn't helping either. The captain was going really fast against the wind to get us to the Napali Coast with plenty of time to enjoy the ride back. The waves were huge and we all pretty much got soaked! The staff was great. They showed me were to sit, and gave me unlimited ice chips to chew on. About 30 minutes before we arrived at our destination where we would turn around and cruise by the coast at a decent speed, Tyler started getting sick. His sickness was much more forceful than mine. Right when the boat slowed down to turn around, Tyler had to run grab an 'aloha bucket'. I felt so bad for him. Even worse, since I was almost at the same point I couldn't comfort him. While looking in another direction, I slowly patted his back and let the staff help out. In a way, I think all my practice the last few months paid off-I didn't throw up the entire time! Yay me!

We both felt well enough once the boat slowed down to grab a few gorgeous photos and even pose for one ourselves.












Tyler and I both were so incredibly eager to hit land and get our feet on solid ground. That by far the worst motion sickness experience I've ever had. 5 full hours! We didn't even care about sunset photos-only the pretzels. We finally got to the car and just laid down for a good 3o minutes.

So as you can see...the first day had potential, but didn't end up being the best. Oh well, we had the rest of the week. Right?

1 comment:

  1. Oh that just sounds AWFUL!! I don't think I could agree to do it, no matter what it looked like afterward (which was gorgeous!!)

    Glad that you at least had a little fun on your trip ;)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts: