I really tried to post all of the Rhodes trip in one post, but alas here is Part II.
Since we were only in Rhodes for 2 days, we decided to get out of town and see the rest of the island. We rented a car and drove south. One of the activities we really wanted to do was jet skiing while in Greece. Vlicha Beach is the home of Big Blue Watersports. Tyler had a great time on the jet ski. I was on back and had a good time as well...kind of. The water in Greece is the saltiest water I've ever encountered. Once Tyler took a sharp turn and splashed water in my eyes, I spent the rest of the time trying to open my eyes. I did love however being out in the blue ocean and I loved how much fun Tyler was having. I wish I took photos! Dang :/.
After our adventure, we headed south to Prassonisi -the most southern tip of the island. The Mediterranean Sea meets the Aegean Sea and is only separated by a thin strip of sand. During some seasons, the sand is completely covered, and that hill is an island. It's especially beautiful because the two seas actually meet. Also, if your a wind surfer or a kite boarder you've heard of this place because it is considered the #1 place in the WORLD to wind surf.

Tyler was SOOO excited to try it, especially given Prassonisi's reputation. Things however do not always go as planned and the wind was too strong for beginners. They wouldn't even let him try it out. He was pretty bummed, but was willing to make it up by skim boarding a little. It was one of the first beaches with fine sand that we saw on our whole trip up to this point-so it was still quite rewarding.
We ate lunch at this windy location. At this point I realized I hadn't taken any photos of the food, and since Greek food is so yummy, I thought I would document a little of what sustained us for two weeks.


Chicken Soulvaki, rice, and french fries. We were very surprised that they eat fries with EVERYTHING!

The famous Greek Salad. We ate these with every meal. Check out that brick of feta! By the end of our trip, we could barely eat 1/4 of it.
After our morning in Prassonisi, we headed to back north. Our destination was Lindos, however on the way there we stopped at St. Paul's Chapel. Paul the Apostle come to Rhodes in about 43 AD to preach Christianity. It's thought that he landed in St. Paul's Bay (obviously named after him) near Lindos.




St. Paul's Bay
Next Stop: The Lindos Acropolis. This dates back to about 300 BC. We were going to hike up to the top. It was impressive, but we figured we had a lot of ruins still to see, so we opted with a romantic stroll through the town (which was a lot like Old Town, but with white buildings). Getting lost is an opportunity-which lead us to Nutella crepes. Yummy. Which speaking of crepes, Tyler never has had crepes for dessert or dinner. He LOVED them. The rest of the time we tried to find crepes to eat.


The Lindos Acropolis

View from Lindos
We then headed back towards Old Town for our last evening in Rhodes. After parking our Fiat, we decided to take a stroll through the less touristy parts of Old Town. We were rewarded with quite streets, polite locals, cute kittens, clotheslines, and amazing architecture. We stood under this arch for a while-checking out the handy work and trying to decide if it would fall on us.


Again, this arch is like REALLY REALLY old!
I loved our walk through Old Town. It was so romantic and serene. Maybe my favorite part of Rhodes. You could really feel the traditional Greek life all around you.
That evening we opted for Crepes for dinner, and Illy Coffee for dessert. We found great friends at Illy. They made the BEST coffee we tried the whole time. The man was from Corfu-which is in the same island chain(Ionian) as our next stop. Zakynthos, here we come.
Since we were only in Rhodes for 2 days, we decided to get out of town and see the rest of the island. We rented a car and drove south. One of the activities we really wanted to do was jet skiing while in Greece. Vlicha Beach is the home of Big Blue Watersports. Tyler had a great time on the jet ski. I was on back and had a good time as well...kind of. The water in Greece is the saltiest water I've ever encountered. Once Tyler took a sharp turn and splashed water in my eyes, I spent the rest of the time trying to open my eyes. I did love however being out in the blue ocean and I loved how much fun Tyler was having. I wish I took photos! Dang :/.
After our adventure, we headed south to Prassonisi -the most southern tip of the island. The Mediterranean Sea meets the Aegean Sea and is only separated by a thin strip of sand. During some seasons, the sand is completely covered, and that hill is an island. It's especially beautiful because the two seas actually meet. Also, if your a wind surfer or a kite boarder you've heard of this place because it is considered the #1 place in the WORLD to wind surf.
Tyler was SOOO excited to try it, especially given Prassonisi's reputation. Things however do not always go as planned and the wind was too strong for beginners. They wouldn't even let him try it out. He was pretty bummed, but was willing to make it up by skim boarding a little. It was one of the first beaches with fine sand that we saw on our whole trip up to this point-so it was still quite rewarding.
We ate lunch at this windy location. At this point I realized I hadn't taken any photos of the food, and since Greek food is so yummy, I thought I would document a little of what sustained us for two weeks.
Chicken Soulvaki, rice, and french fries. We were very surprised that they eat fries with EVERYTHING!
The famous Greek Salad. We ate these with every meal. Check out that brick of feta! By the end of our trip, we could barely eat 1/4 of it.
After our morning in Prassonisi, we headed to back north. Our destination was Lindos, however on the way there we stopped at St. Paul's Chapel. Paul the Apostle come to Rhodes in about 43 AD to preach Christianity. It's thought that he landed in St. Paul's Bay (obviously named after him) near Lindos.

St. Paul's Bay
Next Stop: The Lindos Acropolis. This dates back to about 300 BC. We were going to hike up to the top. It was impressive, but we figured we had a lot of ruins still to see, so we opted with a romantic stroll through the town (which was a lot like Old Town, but with white buildings). Getting lost is an opportunity-which lead us to Nutella crepes. Yummy. Which speaking of crepes, Tyler never has had crepes for dessert or dinner. He LOVED them. The rest of the time we tried to find crepes to eat.
The Lindos Acropolis
View from Lindos
We then headed back towards Old Town for our last evening in Rhodes. After parking our Fiat, we decided to take a stroll through the less touristy parts of Old Town. We were rewarded with quite streets, polite locals, cute kittens, clotheslines, and amazing architecture. We stood under this arch for a while-checking out the handy work and trying to decide if it would fall on us.
Again, this arch is like REALLY REALLY old!
I loved our walk through Old Town. It was so romantic and serene. Maybe my favorite part of Rhodes. You could really feel the traditional Greek life all around you.
That evening we opted for Crepes for dinner, and Illy Coffee for dessert. We found great friends at Illy. They made the BEST coffee we tried the whole time. The man was from Corfu-which is in the same island chain(Ionian) as our next stop. Zakynthos, here we come.



Again more gorgeous photos!! Seriously I want copies of some of these to put up in my house, I'll even pay you!! I love hearing the history about the architecture and culture, good job!
ReplyDeleteI love how old everything is, and how you have a story for it all!
ReplyDelete