I heard about the opening from my friend Sarah. She was dating my friend Dallas and his mom was hiring for a customer service position at a company called Synergy WorldWide. I was working two jobs at the time; one as an admin assistant in the biology department at Utah Valley University (UVSC back then), another as a veterinarian technician at Riverwoods Pet Hospital. I was hoping to consolidate and get a good stable job.
---okay this could become a long story---
To the point...I got the job and started working part time as a customer service agent. Holly Langston (Dowdle) was my manager. Our company was growing, opening up in Thailand which kept us at work late, and growing in the states. We quickly grew and had to move from Orem to Provo. I was promoted to the commissions department where I reported to Angel. From there Angel and I both moved to events, Angel as my manager.
9 years later, I'm finally moving on. Partly by choice, partly by force. Synergy has changed a lot in the time I've been there. Friends, distributors, doctors, and management has come and gone. In events I had ALOT of responsibility, traveled domestically and internationally quite often, and worked my share of evenings and weekends. Becoming a new mom, I realized things would have to change. The question was whether my job could change with them. The short answer-no. So I was left with a decision to either continue my job and lifestyle as it was (and it was going to get much more busy adding on all of our Europe events) or tell my company I wouldn't travel.
If you know me, you know I HATE traveling for work. I LOVE my little baby and husband. In a sense, it was a very easy decision. I did struggle with the position I would put our family in by saying no to my company, the loss of income, the potential of being unemployed for quite a long time, losing amazing benefits. Personally I would lose the freedom and flexibility of a job I've earned and a company I've been in longer than the president himself. I would miss my dear friends. Even though I hate traveling, seeing amazing beautiful places can be awesome, just check out a few posts here. Even with all of the negatives, all I had to do was imagine leaving Elijah at the airport as I hopped on a plan to Europe and I knew my answer was already decided.
So I told my company I couldn't travel anymore. They told me they needed to replace me. That was that. Luckily we both still really worked well together. They gave me 1.5 months, then asked me to extend another month. I was happy to continue working for as long as possible, even though I felt like they were pushing me out. It worked though.
God has his own plans.
I started looking and applying for jobs before I came back from maternity leave. I was more motivated once I knew Synergy wouldn't keep me. I applied for a few jobs, but I really had my eye on an Event Manager position at the new Utah Valley Convention Center. I knew quite a few people who worked there and a few people who were connected. All were rooting for me. I applied in the beginning of February.
In March I got called in for an interview. I. Did. Awesome! I was called 3 days later for what I thought was a second interview. Instead they offered me the position right there. I was sooooo excited.
So you're now looking at the new Event Manager for the Utah Valley Convention Center. Yay me!
As I said, God has his own plans. They're far better than ours. Even though I'm saying goodbye to my company of 9 years, I can't wait to start this new journey and see what God has for me along the way.
The hardest part about leaving my job is the amazing, priceless friendships I've created over the years. These people are some of my best friends. If you think about it, I'm with them more than my husband and baby! I would be neglectful if I didn't write about the fun we had! Pranks, breaks, LOOOONG breaks, errands, "errands", and more. Here are a few photos that I've collected of me and my work friends over the years.
The Commissions Department, Riverwoods

The Australian Office

The Commissions Department, Riverwoods

We met this awesome kid Ian at our convention (I think 06)

Then I ran into Ian again in Colorado. He missed his good friend Nick.

The Commissions Department, Riverwoods

We met this awesome kid Ian at our convention (I think 06)

Then I ran into Ian again in Colorado. He missed his good friend Nick.


We took photos of all the staff for our Convention Magazine. Here are some of my favorite people or photos.



We loved to decorate cubicles.


We also LOVED our Borders Trips. RIP.
Chilin' after the Summit...perhaps 07.

In California Adventures at the 08 Summit.

Me and my beautiful recognition girls.

The best Christmas party ever. Ash won the ugly sweater contest.
The best Christmas Tree ever!
At the Japan 09 Global Summit. Bee from Thailand.
Friends from Norway and Taiwan in Japan.
Friends in Norway
Lizzy's Goodbye Lunch
At the 2010 Summit in SLC.
Doug's Goodbye Lunch
Lunch with Ashley


The newsletter announcement:

The Synergy Sheriffs during my Maternity Leave.
We also had fun times with photoshop. Usually Nick was the victim, however he did try to get me back. He was nicer than I was.








Aww Lace, I really feel for you.... glad you have such a good attitude, but I'm sure this was really, really hard on you!
ReplyDeleteHun you are an amazing woman! God is So amazing, He will always provide! Im super excited for you and can't wait to see how God works in your growing family!
ReplyDeleteWow "lacey's first born" and the pic off elijah below it look oddly similar! lol Can't wait to here about the excitement of the new job!
ReplyDelete