Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Grandma Lulu's Sugar Cookies

I'm not a recipe blogger, however this is a family recipe and I thought our blog book would be a good place to store this so once I get old and senile-my kids will find it and hopefully continue the tradition. Maybe I'll eventually blog family recipes, but I don't want to promise anything.

Tyler grew up with these sugar cookies every Christmas. His Grandma Olsen (Lulu) would make them every Christmas, and store large zip-lock bags full of them in the freezer. She passed on the recipe at my bridal shower and I've made them every Christmas since. I, like her, store them in our freezer-because Tyler won't eat them fresh. They must be frozen. Surprisingly, they're really good frozen, and as long as they're thick enough, they're still really soft! They also have this yummy 'tinge'. You can't quite put your finger on it, but it gives it such a good taste. What is it? The vinegar. Sounds odd, but so yummy.

Makes 2 dozen. Preheat oven to 400.

3 1/4 c flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c shortening
1 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 can evaporated milk
1 tbsp vinegar



Mix together and refrigerate about 30 min-1 hour. Take out half of dough, roll, and cut into cookie shapes. Lather, rinse, repeat. Cook until very light golden brown-usually around 8 minutes.





Best Cookie Frosting
Powered sugar, butter, little bit of milk, & a dash of vanilla.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts: